My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
November 2010
sbend
>
Public
>
Historic Preservation
>
Meeting Minutes and Recordings
>
HPC Meeting Minutes 2010
>
November 2010
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
1/11/2019 1:16:18 PM
Creation date
6/8/2020 10:14:45 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
South Bend HPC
HPC Document Type
Minutes
BOLT Control Number
1001362
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
45
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
Upon staff investigation for this report, it was discovered that this property sits on the exact location of where the <br />Kankakee Mill Race, a man-made canal dug in the 1830s, was terminated at the St. Joseph River. A four storey grist <br />mill stood from 1837 until the Race failed in the 1850s. After 1885 the land was the site of the Christian Soen's Brick <br />and Drying Yards. Staff spoke with Carl Littrell, City Engineer to get his perspective on the location of the property in <br />relation to the past use of the site. Carl reported that the soil is clay and was mined for bricks. The brickyard had built a <br />series of canals flowing throughout the yard. Ina past job testing soils, Mr. Littrell dug under several basements in this <br />block of Riverside Drive and discovered trash, debris and water, all creating differential movements of the houses. In <br />addition to the brickyard, the nearby location of the Water Works in Leeper Park because of the 100 or so artesian <br />springs that have surfaced there, additional springs could be surfacing along Riverside Drive. Mr. Littrell concluded <br />that the water problems at 503 Riverside could be explained by the past uses of site and/or due to the eternal springs in <br />the area. In addition, the City would like to get the cistern disconnected from the City sewers and channeled into a <br />location that would be more efficient for carrying water away from the property. Staff asked Mr. Littrell his opinion as <br />to if the proposed vacant site would be buildable, in which he concluded that it would more than likely be buildable but <br />that a geotechnical engineer should be consulted and knowledge about the site should be disclosed to prospective <br />buyers. <br />This property begins the district on the South side of Riverside Drive; although it is considered a contributing property <br />to the district, the integrity has been altered by the addition of numerous replacement features. <br />STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES: <br />V. GENERAL <br />A. Buildings in the district should not be demolished except where a building poses a threat to the public safety, and <br />demolition is the only alternative. Documentation of interior and exterior features of the original buildings, especially <br />homes rated as historically significant, is encouraged. Measured drawings and photographs may be submitted to the <br />Historic Preservation Commission for safekeeping and future reference. <br />STAFF RECOMMENDATION: Even though this building does not appear to pose a threat to public safety as the <br />standards and guidelines state for demolition, it is evident that the property the house is situated on has been <br />compromised by water issues since the 1830s. There is currently evidence of mold but no testing has been done. Staff <br />recommends that the owner be in contact with City Engineer, Carl Littrell regarding a disconnect from City sewers and <br />possibly removing water more efficiently from the property. Based on owners discussion with Carl, if this cannot be <br />done, with the ongoing water issues that may not be able to be resolved, staff would be inclined to recommend approval <br />of the proposed project because the structure has been so compromised and its integrity will continue to deteriorate. <br />Commissioner Zeiger submitted a formal report of the onsite assessment performed by himself <br />and the Indiana Landmarks Preservation Specialist, Paul Hayden. This assessment concurred <br />with staff's recommendation. <br />On a motion by Linda Riley with a second by Todd Zeiger <br />Vote: 4-0 <br />COA 2010-0907A was approved with a unanimous vote. <br />STAFF REPORT <br />CONCERNING APPLICATION FOR A <br />CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS <br />Date: November 4, 2010 <br />Application Number: 2010-1101 <br />Property Location: 2025 Mishawaka Firehouse #9 <br />Architectural Style/Date/Architect or Builder: Dormer Front Bungalow/1926/Ernest W. Young <br />Property Owner: South Bend Fire Department <br />Landmark or District Designation: Local Landmark <br />Rating: Contributing <br />DESCRIPTION OF STRUCTURE/ SITE: One and half storey dormer front bungalow on a square plan with an <br />offset brick chimney set on a brick foundation with a stone string course at the base. The walls have aluminum siding <br />at the second storey, the rest of the exterior walls are stretcher bond brick. There is a two storey tower with a flat roof <br />at the rear. The asphalt shingled roof has a side gable with aluminum sided knee braces and large front and rear gable <br />dormers with the same aluminum siding. The front porch extends across the front of the firehouse and has a low brick <br />wall with stone caps and brick pillars. The roof is an extension of the main roof with curved knee brace supports. <br />There is a side shed canopy at the entry with similar bracing. The front entry at the porch is offset with multi -pane side <br />lights. There is a side entry with multi -pane light door. There is a large garage door under the porch. The windows a <br />1/1 double hung sashes with stone sills. There is a square bay window with shed roof on the west side. <br />ALTERATIONS: The 1979/1990 Survey card notes that the original glazed the roof has been removed; that <br />aluminum siding, storm windows and doors are replacements. The windows are not original to the structure. The <br />current wood window sashes have insert lights with a composite plastic surround that are set into aluminum tracks. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.