Laserfiche WebLink
STAFF REPORT <br />CONCERNING APPLICATION FOR A <br />CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS <br />Date: 04/13/04 <br />Application Number: 2004 - 0315 -2 <br />Property Location: 14309 Adams Road, Granger <br />Property Owner: Ronald & Diana Snyder <br />Landmark or District Designation: Local Landmark <br />Rating: Outstanding/ 13 <br />STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE/HISTORIC CONTEXT <br />At least three generations of Metzger's, a prominent agricultural family with German ancestry, built and lived <br />in this house. The earliest construction took place around 1847. It is possibly the third oldest house in the <br />county. As the family needed more space, additions were built with the same materials and fine <br />craftsmanship. <br />In 1836, John Texas Metzger's maternal grandfather purchased 80 acres of land upon which this house now <br />stands. His grandparents emigrated from Germany and were early settlers of Harris Township. John, his <br />sister, his mother and his aunt were all raised on this farm. In 1912, John T. Metzger married Kathryn <br />Cooney of Indianapolis. After their marriage, they settled permanently on John T's grandfather's farm. It is <br />unknown when John died. Kathryn passed away in 1959. The farm transferred to her sister, Mary Frances <br />Cooney, who sold it to Theodore and Mary Derksen. The Derksen's owned the property until 1994 when E. <br />Russel purchased the property. Ronald and Diana Snyder are the current owners. <br />In the mid 1800s, the house became a stop on the Old Chicago Trail stagecoach line, a bustling transportation <br />route for settlers heading west and goods heading east and west. It was also a center of Catholic faith and <br />spirituality. Holy Cross priests regularly held Mass here for the local Catholic community before they built a <br />chapel at the St. Joseph farm. <br />This residence is an outstanding example of a two -story Greek revival farmhouse built with local yellow brick. <br />The gable of the main section of the house faces Adams Road. It has a wide continuous cornice and elaborate <br />moldings that form the pediment. The 6 over 6 double hung windows with stone sills are not quite evenly <br />spaced across the fagade. A front stoop with a hipped roof, two posts and matching pilasters is a later addition <br />built to protect the paneled door and sidelights. Two additions with gabled roofs and gable returns and 6 over <br />6 divided light double hung windows were built perpendicularly to each other and the main portion of the <br />house. The front portico has a shed roof and four elaborated square posts. The four fluted Doric columns <br />were removed before the house was designated a Local Landmark. The site also has a row of mature trees to <br />the east of the house. <br />APPLICATION ITEMS: <br />1.) Remove non - contributing attached garage and addition, <br />2.) Build enclosed porch/conservancy, garage, and covered walkway, <br />3.) Install new drive (shown on architectural drawings) <br />