Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAboutApril 2000AGENDA OF THE APRIL 2000 MONTHLY MEETING H s M O R R E s E R v A r O N 0 M M s s ■ 0 7 Floor County -City Building 227 W. Jefferson County Commissioners Conference Room Monday, April 17, 2000 7:30pm I. Call to Order II. Public Hearing A. Certificates of Appropriateness 1. 2000 — 0229, 112 S. Lafayette, lighting. 2. 2000-0307,1601 Kemble, windows & doors. 3. 2000 -0323, 830 N. Michigan, landscaping. B. Proposed Local Landmarks, 2 nd Reading 1. 802 N. Lafayette — YWCA 2. 2300 Portage Ave. — Riverview Cemetery 3. 405 N Main/207 Madison — Scottish Rite Tem. 4. 427 N. Main — Masonic Temple 5. 53233 Fir — Cheerhart Farmhouse 6. 51991 Ash — Smith Farmhouse 7. 14309 Adams — Metzger Farmhouse* III. Regular Business A. Approval of Minutes (March) B. Treasurer's Report (see attachment) C. Correspondence D. Committee Reports 1. Historic Districts 2. Historic Landmarks I' Reading a. 1136 N. Notre Dame —Egan House* b. 3020 Buckingham — Pretz House c. 3002 Buckingham — Rumpf House* d. 52173 Ash Road — Salem Church* e. 50157 Clover— Lowry Farmhouse 3. Standards and Maintenance E. Staff Reports 1. CofA Staff Approvals (see attachment) 2. Legal 3. Miscellaneous Activities & Grants IV. Old Business V. New Business VI. Hearing of Visitors VII. Announcements and Miscellaneous Matters VIII. Adjournment HPC MEETING APRIL 17, 2000 Please sign your name, address and telephone number. Take and Agenda. Welcome "" , , Address ` , , � one �6.r-e4 � a C) b (-4 � �U / A k 4 3. 7, J �, Ze s. i 4L � I r �G i I i rYti =G 1'�M 1ZF ` LIW E 5 f3 cc, /. PScs ( r .: 7 - e- -- i�6 / SSaC. Z1:5c� — `�S © 1 0. 1 0 u 3 a 3 3 , 0- , - 4 ,2 - 4-5' 3 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. STAFF REPORT CONCERNING APPLICATION FOR A CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS Application Number: Property Location: 2000 -0323 830 North Michigan Property Owner: South Bend Water Works Landmark or District Designation: LL Rating: 0/13 Key Number: STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE/HISTORIC CONTEXT Well -known local architects, Freyermuth and Maurer, drew up the plans for the present North Pumping Station on August 30, 1912. This firm preserved an earlier foundation on the northwest side of the present structure, which dates to 1892. Work on the new building began in 1910 when local engineer, William S. Moore, built a 6,000,000 - gallon reinforced concrete reservoir. Freyermuth and Maurer's 1912 building was constructed for the cost of $250,000.00 and was equipped with a 7 "x175' reinforced concrete stack, a brick suction well, 20 additional supply wells and steam pumping engines. The suction well was subsequently replaced by a modern reservoir and the steam pumps were replaced by electricity, thus, leaving most of the pumping station empty. RECOMMENDATION The Local Landmarks guidelines follow the rehabilitation model. South Bend Water Works is requesting to remove the 13' by 50' approach on the south side of the building and back fill the area with black dirt and sod. They are also applying to continue the brick walk off the main approach to the north extending it to the Waste Water's lift station concrete pad. Staff finds the proposed project to be complimentary to the building and park with out damaging any major landscaping items. The Staff recommends approval of the application. Bonestroo Client: Page: Rosene Project: , Anderlik & Prc j. No: Associates Calculations For: Prepared By: Date: Engineers & Architects I Reviewed By : Date: i a r 4� 0 Ni- CY 6 a ' 91 li l I! I!;li o ^ "I' "IV IPl Ill PROPOSED LOCAL LANDMARK 405 NORTH MAIN STREET/ 207 MADISON ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, INDIANA Historic Preservation Commission Of South Bend and St. Joseph County March 2000 405 N. MAIN STJ 207 MADISON ,300 CMpin paik —_ �Nat14M1 lu9/at9 Hlstorle Ol9trlct ^, ryY�oN 1 s•1 19ti 1 • 19 198 ,396 aoy ' w PHOTOGRAPH 405 N. MAIN ST./ 207 MADISON HISTORICAL CONTEXT This property is located on the Southwest corner of W. Marion Street and N. Main Street in South Bend, Indiana. It is described as being Lots 199, 200, 201 of the Original Plat in South Bend, Indiana. The First Church of Christ, Scientist in 1916, constructed this Classical Revival style church now known as the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple. The Christian Science Religion was first incorporated in the South Bend area in 1898. However, its influence in the area dates back to 1888 when the Woman's Literary Club added to its library the book, "Science and Health with key to the Scriptures," by Mary Baker Eddy, founder of the Christian Science Religion. Various members, led by Julie Sherman, held the first Christian Science service in this area in January of 1898. Shortly after their first meeting, a couple from Montana, Mrs. And Mrs. Bradford Dickson, moved to South Bend. Both were trained leaders of the religion, which increased the public's interest in the group causing them to quickly out grow their meeting accommodations. By 1905 the group had more than 100 members allowing them to make a formal application to the Christian Science church organization. The group exceeded the requirements and thus was recognized by the Boston headquarters as the First Church of Christ, Science, and South Bend. The church soon realized it needed its own facilities, however, rules for the church dictate that no building can be dedicated as a Christian Science church on which a debt is still owed. Eventually the group purchased a lot on the corner of Main Street and Madison where they constructed and dedicated their new church in July of 1906, only one year after the formation of the group as an organized religion. Readers at the dedication were Frederick Eberhart and Mary Studebaker Riley. The organization quickly out grew this structure and purchased a lot adjacent to the existing church, which was demolished to make way for the new church. The final structure was dedicated in 1918 after J.M. Studebaker Jr paid the remaining debt in full. The building housed the First Church of Christ, Science until 1977 when it was sold to the current owners, The Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, as a Masonic Temple. ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION This is a three story Classical Revival Style Church with irregular plan, concrete foundation and one brick chimney. The building is of steel - trussed construction, faced with Indiana Bedford limestone and brick and sports a 25' dome. The roof has classic architrave cornice and parapet with pediments concealing a generally flat roof and accenting a large dome, which is pierced by a multitude of fixed, arched windows. 3 The main entry is ornamented by a monumental five bay porch with six Ionic style columns and full triangular pediment. The windows are simple leaded glass, fixed, with four -light transom above all first floor windows. The second floor contains some operable double -hung window units. The front entry contains two series of five double metal doors with one long narrow window in each door, one series in the main floor and one in the second story. RECOMMENDATION Based on the Historic Preservation Commission's Local Landmark Criteria's adopted by the Common Council, the site and structures at 405 N. Main/ 207 Madison Streets has been recommended to the Common Council for designation as a Local Landmark by the Historic Preservation Commission. The building meets the following five criteria: 1) Its character, interest, or value as part of the development, heritage, or culture of the City of South bend, St. Joseph County, the State of Indiana, or the United States of America; 2) Its embodiment of elements or architectural design, detail, material or craftsmanship which represents an architectural characteristic or innovation; 3) Its educational value; 4) Its suitability for preservation; 5) Its identification with the life of a person or persons of historical significance. The structure fulfills criteria #1 by its relationship with the Christian Science Church and the Scottish Rite, two very prominent, local, and National organizations. The structure fulfills criteria #2 as an excellent example of a 1910s Neoclassical Style church. It is rated an Outstanding 13 in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory. The building fulfills criteria #3 by its ability to teach the public about the interests, beliefs and values of past societies and their lingering affects on the present. The building fulfills criteria #4 by the integrity of its original construction with no change to the structure. It is a splendid example of early a 1910s Church. The building fulfills criteria #5 by its association with a multitude of South Bend's most prominent citizens, including; Frederick Eberhart, Mary Studebaker, Clarence Buskir and J.M. Studebaker Jr. 4 PROPOSED LOCAL LANDMARK 427 NORTH MAIN STREET ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, INDIANA Historic Preservation Commission Of South Bend and St. Joseph County March 2000 427 N. MAIN ST. INatlonal ROOistar Nlstorle LIZ." ,378 i ,37 ` `` . 37 .399 Npr }oM1 .398 ,409 .108 `� X 199 ° 0.198 .197 196 1195 .396 .406 194 �� • w M n n N � � m r a M b 9 N A O PHOTOGRAPH .,."". '; "e. "d���,%%„ ... "•gb�f•.s�YS ;r, ..,., ., gi:�kL. 'Y"•'f:. ° 5'�, d � r :,'y 2 427 NORTH MAIN STREET HISTORICAL CONTEXT This property is located on the Southwest corner of W. Marion Street and N. Main Street in South Bend, Indiana. It is described as being Lots 199, 200, 201 of the Original Plat in South Bend, Indiana. This Neoclassical style lodge known as the Masonic Temple, was constructed by the St. Joseph Valley Temple Association in 1925 to house the Scottish Rite, Blue Lodges, York Rite, Eastern Star, Rainbow, DeMolay and various Masons. The main precepts of the modern Masonry are: revival of the old order, the old organization, the old time chivalry and seeks to reproduce knightly virtues, chivalrous spirit, valiant and virtuous life and the holy teachings of the historic days. The Craft was formally established in South Bend in 1842, when St. Joseph Lodge No. 45 was officially chartered. The first official meeting was held in June of 1842 with John Sample as Worshipful Master. The first executive officers were; John Rush, Senior Warden, Hugh C. Flannigan, Junior Warden, A.C. Penwell, Henry Miller, A.B. Ellsworth, Senior Deacon, Elisha Egbert, Junior Deacon, Lyman McUmber and Joseph Knapp. Also in attendance were: Joseph Newton, Alexis Coquillard and I.W. Hopkins. Andrew Massey was the first candidate to receive the degrees. As the City of South Bend grew from a village of 500 to a city of thousands so did the Masons, who quickly out grew their first three lodges creating a need to construct a new lodge on the corner of Marion and Main Streets. To acquire the necessary funding the group formed the St. Joseph Valley Temple Association, who sold shares to acquire the $800,000.00 needed to complete the project. Architects, Osgood and Osgood of Grand Rapids, Michigan were chosen to design the building and H.G. Christman Company to construct it. The finished structure is one of the most "outstanding monuments to Masonry in the Middle West ". The building continues to house various Masonry Lodges and is a testimonial to a slowly fading way of life. ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION This is a five -story neoclassical style structure with a rectangular plan and is built of concrete, stone and brick. The walls are brick with two bands of stone which tie together the 3 4' and 5 floors with engaged fluted stone columns on one wall and flat engaged brick columns on the other, both with stone Ionic caps. The roof is flat with stone entablature, which indicates the beginning of the parapet. The windows are casements with stone sills and decorated stone lintels. There is a double set of doors set back with decorated stone surround and elaborate stone decoration in the entry along with two cast metal light posts. Masonic symbolism abounds throughout the architectural features of the building, for example, the front steps are three, five and seven in number, which is a 3 Craft symbol and over the entrance is the Square and Compass, which is the emblem of Masonry. The ground floor includes club, billiard, card and reading rooms, banquet rooms, kitchens, boiler room, check room and storage space. The main/lobby floor, houses, office space, lobby, stairways, elevators that were presented by John M. Studebaker, Jr., lounges, reception rooms and a cathedral. The remaining floors contain various rooms for the variety of Lodges which are housed here as well as, custodian office, ladies reception room and parlors, and rooms for candidates. RECOMMENDATION Based on the Historic Preservation Commission's Local Landmark Criteria's adopted by the Common Council, the site and structures at 427 N. Main Street has been recommended to the Common Council for designation as a Local Landmark by the Historic Preservation Commission. The building meets the following five criteria: 1) Its character, interest, or value as part of the development, heritage, or culture of the City of South bend, St. Joseph County, the State of Indiana, or the United States of America; 2) Its embodiment of elements or architectural design, detail, material or craftsmanship which represents an architectural characteristic or innovation; 3) Its educational value; 4) Its suitability for preservation; 5) Its identification with the life of a person or persons of historical significance. The structure fulfills criteria #1 by its relationship with the Masons, a very prominent, local, and National Fraternity. The structure fulfills criteria #2 as an excellent example of a 1920s Neoclassical Style Lodge /Temple. It is rated an Outstanding 13 in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory. The building fulfills criteria #3 by its ability to teach the public about the interests and values of the past societies, their lingering affects on the present and why such organization are faltering in their popularity. The building fulfills criteria #4 by the integrity of its original construction with no change to the structure. It is a splendid example of early a 1920s Temple. The building fulfills criteria #5 by its association with a multitude of South Bend's most prominent citizens, including; Alexis Coquillard, John Sample, the Deacons, the Wardens, A.B. Ellsworth, C.C. Shafer, A.F. Eby, William Crabill, the Studebaker's and the Oliver's. 4 PROPOSED LOCAL LANDMARK 53233 (53603) FIR ROAD ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, INDIANA Historic Preservation Commission Of South Bend and St. Joseph County March 2000 53233 Fir Road \09 IOW VINVS 'k '08 C\J C\J Ij 4:!P — N (V CY ca 0 (f) V) x 53233 FIR ROAD HISTORICAL CONTEXT This property is located on the Northwest corner of Cass and Fir Roads in St. Joseph County, Indiana. It is described as being Lot "A" of the Cheerhart Estates Replat, Section 27 Township 38 Range 3E in St. Joseph County, Indiana. Charles and Susan Cheerhart built this wood frame farmhouse in 1876. Mr. Cheerhart came to Harris Township in 1845 with his mother and stepfather, Mary and John Beglin. The family resided in an earlier structure on this property and earned their living as farmers until 1871 when Mr. & Mrs. Beglin sold the farm and house to Charles. Mr. Cheerhart demolished the family home a year later and began construction on this two story Vernacular style home, to which, he added Italianate and Gothic features. Charles married Susan knocker in 1862 and sired three daughters and one son. Mr. Cheerhart continued to operate the family farm until his death in 1911. Susan Cheerhart resided in the house for another ten years, leaving it to her son after her death in 1921. John was born in this house in 1888; he married Martha Ellen Ward and sired five children. John Cheerhart ran the farm until his death in 1951 at age 85. He left the property to his daughter Florence Apperson and her husband Jordan. Mrs. Apperson owned the house for four years during which time the house remained vacant. She eventually sold it to Joseph and Lisa Bartolini in 1955. Mr. Bartolini, the co -owner and operator of the "Florence Cafe" in South Bend purchased the house as a summer retreat. He was born in Italy in 1899 and moved to Mishawaka in 1909. Joseph married Elizabeth Veroni of Illinois, in 1923 and had a son, Dominick. The Bartolini's utilized the house as a get -away as well as rental property, eventually letting the property deteriorate. Joseph continued to own the house until his death in 1970 leaving it to his wife, Elizabeth, who upon her death in 1977 left it to their son, Dominick J. Bartolini. Dominick owned the house for five years during which time it remained vacant and open to vandals. Mr. Bartolini was eventually persuaded to sell the house in 1990 to the current owners, Thomas and Cindy Huff. The Huffs have since restored and rehabilitated the property. ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION This is a two story wood frame, Vernacular Style house with Gothic and Italianate details. The house has an irregular plan; asphalt shingled gabled roof, clapboard siding, and stone foundation. There is a two -story addition located on the left side of the structure with a small shed roof porch, which matches the one located on the right side of the structure. The porches have plain wood posts with wood floors and latticework covering the bottom. The house also has a two -story extension on the right fagade, which replaced a one and a half story summer kitchen, that was nearing collapse. The doors are wood with two lower panels toped by two glass transoms. The entire house has one over one double -hung windows with wood sills and sashes. Some second story windows have gothic style hoods that match the gothic ornamentation located with in the gable peaks. The house also boasts two bow windows with bracketing that resembles Italianate designs. RECOMMENDATION Based on the Historic Preservation Commission's Local Landmark Criteria's adopted by the County Council, the site and structures at 53233 Fir Road has been recommended to the County Council for designation as a Local Landmark by the Historic Preservation Commission. The building meets the following three criteria: 1) Its embodiment of elements or architectural design, detail, material or craftsmanship which represents an architectural characteristic or innovation; 2) Its suitability for preservation; 3) Its identification with the life of a person or persons of historical significance. The building fulfills criteria # 1 as an excellent example of a mid - nineteenth century Vernacular Hybrid farmhouse: It is rated an Outstanding 13 in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory. The building fulfills criteria #2 by the integrity of its original construction with minor alterations. It is a wonderful example of the popular rural method of mixing various architectural styles into one harmonious hybrid house, in this case a combination of the Vernacular, Italianate and Gothic styles. The building fulfills criteria #3 by its association with prominent County resident and farmer Charles Cheerhart. PROPOSED LOCAL LANDMARK 51991 ASH ROAD ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, INDIANA Historic Preservation Commission Of South Bend and St. Joseph County March 2000 51991 Ash Road o BEECH ;;; ROAD V 6D :0 0 . OW , D35 01031 01030 0 P-0 0 A ASH WO' t7 A co 11 iV 1; — . CL PHOTOGRAPH 2 51991 ASH ROAD HISTORICAL CONTEXT This property is located on the west side of Ash Road between Andersen and Brummit Roads in St. Joseph County, Indiana. It is described as being 5 acres Southeast 1/2 of the Southeast %4, Section 16, Township 38 North, Range 4 east in St. Joseph County, Indiana. John G. and Catherine Smith purchased this tract of land from Frederick C. and Mary Silber in 1874. Mr. Smith erected a nine room, brick, Italianate Hybrid style house a year later, 1875. John G. Smith was born in St. Joseph County in 1837 and married Catherine, with whom he sired two sons, Louis and George and two daughters, Hettie and Alice. John Smith, a prominent area farmer, eventually expanded is holdings by constructing two large barns and various other out buildings, unfortunately the barns and sheds have long since been demolished. Mr. & Mrs. Smith resided in this house until their deaths, John in 1917 and Catherine in 1918, after which the house remained in an estate, jointly owned by all of their children. During the next ten years John's daughter, Mrs. Alice Replogle and her husband, J.W., resided in the family home and ran the farm while the other siblings married and moved out of state. Alice and J.W. lived there until 1927 when the Smith heirs sold the property to Lester G. Kline, Smith & Carrie Kline, George Forstbauer and Philip and Ida Matz. Philip Matz was an employee of Hygrade Meat Products Company, he and his wife often dabbled in real estate with George Forstbauer. Lester Kline and his family actually resided in the house for several years while intermittently renting it out. During the late 1920s Mr. & Mrs. Matz, Mr. & Mrs. Kline and George Forstbauer sold their interests in the property to Lester Kline. He continued to own the property until 1939 when he defaulted on his mortgage causing the property to be sold to the mortgage company, Federal Land Bank, during a Sheriffs Sale in July. The bank immediately sold the house to Glen R. and Esther Lee. Glen Lee, a self - employed brick mason, moved to Granger in 1939 with his wife Esther Vinnall -Lee. Mr. Lee resided in this house, known as 200 S. Ash Road, until 1950 when he sold it to Leo J. and Norma Kierein. The Kieriens retained ownership for fifteen years, selling it to Norman L. Fisher in 1965. Mr. Fisher resided here for fourteen years, selling the property to David A. Palenick in 1979, who turned around a sold it two years later to Eric E. Eckert. Mr. Eckert also parted with the property fairly quickly, selling it in 1982 to the current owners, Terry M. and Barbara Futrell ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION This is a two story Italianate Hybrid style house. It has a gabled roof with asphalt shingles and one brick chimney. The walls are made of running bond brick with a solid stone foundation. The house has two over two double -hung wood window units through out the structure with one over one units located in the front bay window. The windows are also bow fronts with dentils, rounded arch filled in segmental arches and ogee segmental heads with keystones. The front door is wood with single upper pane of glass. Since the survey was completed in 1975 the then missing front porch has since been reconstructed with a slightly pitched roof held up by four wood turned posts on top of a cement pad. The owner has also added a large pole barn toward the rear and a small one- story addition with porch of the rear of the house. RECOMMENDATION Based on the Historic Preservation Commission's Local Landmark Criteria's adopted by the County Council, the building at 51991 Ash Road has been recommended to the County Council for designation as a Local Landmark by the Historic Preservation Commission. The building meets the following three criteria: 1) Its embodiment of elements or architectural design, detail, material or craftsmanship which represents an architectural characteristic or innovation; 2) Its suitability for preservation; 3) Its identification with the life of a person or persons of historical significance. The structure fulfills criteria #1 as an excellent example of a late 1800's Italianate Hybrid farmhouse. It is rated a Significant 12 in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory. The building fulfills criteria 42 by the integrity of its original construction with little significant change to the structure. It is a splendid example of a lat 1800' rural adaptation of an Italianate style house. The building fulfills criteria #3 by its association with John G. Smith, a pioneer farmer of Harris Township. 4 PROPOSED LOCAL LANDMARK 14309 ADAMS ROAD ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, INDIANA Historic Preservation Commission Of South Bend and St. Joseph County March 2000 14309 ADAMS ROAD 2223 iLTON TWP. 22_ _ __ ��ff r HARRIS TWP. 010330 o IOlii [i 1 r W 0 o � r 01039 0 a� s r R 1 IOlil _ t3 II 1 14 t3 O 15 a o x8ni o a PHOTOGRAPH w 14309 ADAMS ROAD HISTORICAL CONTEXT This property is located on the North side of Adams Road between Elm Road and Clover Road in St. Joseph County, Indiana. It is described as being Lot 1 of Kelly's Addition, Section 11 Township 38 Range 3E in St. Joseph County, Indiana. This Greek Revival Style house was constructed in 1847 by Alexander Metzger's father - in -law, who was also a Metzger. Mr. Metzger was a clock maker and a native German, who was one of the first settlers of Harris Township. The elder Mr. Metzger married and raised a family in this house, including a daughter who married Alexander Metzger and had two children. Alexander farmed the family land on Adams Road for a while, eventually venturing into the cattle business with his father, operating a cattle ranch in Texas. Mrs. Metzger died when her son John Texas Metzger was only two years of age. Their aunt, Adelaide, who eventually married Theodore Metzger of Berrien County, Michigan, reared him and his sister. John Metzger began working on the family farm when he was sixteen years of age, and divided his time between the farm and the ranch in Texas, which he inherited upon his father's death. John became a permanent resident of 14309 Adams Road in 1912 and from thereon confined his labors to the family's 80 -acre farm. John Metzger married Kathryn Cooney of Indianapolis in February of 1912. The Metzger family farm was a prominent and important feature of Harris Township. Father Sorin and Father Granger used the Metzger house to celebrate mass for Harris Township Catholics until a chapel was constructed in the St. Joseph County Farm. The stagecoach line of the "Old Chicago Trail" also used Adams Road in the early 1800's and the Metzger home was a stopping point for them. Kathryn Cooney Metzger, John T.'s wife, continued to own the family estate until her death in 1959 at age 80 when the house was inherited by her sister, Mary France Cooney. Ms. Cooney sold the farm six months later to Theodore and Mary Derksen. Mr. Derksen was an agriculturalist; he married Mary Beckelandt in 1936 and sired four daughters. The Dersken's farmed this property while their daughter, Everdina and her husband Thomas Kelley resided in the house with their family. Ted Derksen continued to own the property until 1994 when he sold it to E. Russell who turned around and sold the property one month later to the current owner, Ronald Snyder. Mr. Snyder has expended a large amount of time, energy and money to lovingly restore this 1847 Greek Revival Style house. 3 ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION This is a two story Greek Revival Style farmhouse with a gable roof, composition shingles, yellow bond brick walls and stone foundation. It has a wide continuous cornice creating a triangle above the second story of the front fagade. The house also has gable returns on the rear and side fagades, a wide entablature and several plain brick chimneys. There is a single story addition located on the right side of the building that has matching entablature. The windows are all six over six double hung with stone sills and the main door is wood panel with sidelights. The main entry has a covered stoop that has two wood Doric type posts with two matching pilasters on either side of the door. The addition boasts a similar porch with a shed type roof, three Doric type square, wood posts, two Doric type wood pilasters and a cement floor. RECOMMENDATION Based on the Historic Preservation Commission's Local Landmark Criteria's adopted by the County Council, the site and structures at 14309 Adams Road has been recommended to the County Council for designation as a Local Landmark by the Historic Preservation Commission. The building meets the following three criteria: 1) Its embodiment of elements or architectural design, detail, material or craftsmanship which represents an architectural characteristic or innovation; 2) Its suitability for preservation; 3) Its identification with the life of a person or persons of historical significance. The structure fulfills criteria #1 as an excellent example of an early 1800's Greek Revival Style farmhouse. It is rated an Outstanding 13 in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory. The building fulfills criteria #2 by the integrity of its original construction with little change to the structure. It is a splendid example of early an 1800's, pioneer farmhouse. The site and structures fulfills criteria #3 by its association with the Metzger Familywho were pioneer settlers and prominent farmers and Father Sorin a very prominent figure in the South Bend and Notre Dame. A 4 I COMMISSION MEETING 2 MINUTES 3 FOR MARCH 4 5 Committee Meeting County -City Building 6 7:30 p.m. 7 Floor Conference Room 7 Monday, March 20, 2000 8 9 10 I. Call to Order 11 John Oxian, president of the Commission, brought the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. 12 13 II. Roll Call 14 Commission members present were: Catherine Hostetler, Gerald Ujdak, John Oxian, 15 Joann Sporleder, Jerry Weiner and Martha Choitz. 16 Commission staff present were: Ed Talley, Director, Rhonda Saunders, Assistant Director 17 and Cheryl Greene, Council. 18 Also attending the meeting were: Mark Schlutt, Jim Markle, Tamara Sexton, Jerry 19 Sexton, Bruce Calvert, Scott Rozanski, Ken Herceg, Steve Ullery, Chris Taelman, 20 Michael Kollowski, Don Wood, Greg Kil, Bryan Jesswein and Don Sporleder. 21 22 23 III. Public Hearing 24 A. Certificate of Appropriateness Applications 25 1.2000 — 0210 -2, 515 Riverside Drive, landscaping. 26 Mr. Talley presented the staff report and circulated photographs. He also noted that the 27 landscape architect, Mark Schlutt, was present. Mr. Oxian asked of the photo examples, 28 which terrace would the proposed terrace resemble. Mr. Schlutt stated that the proposed 29 terrace would best resemble the wood terrace. Mrs. Hostetler moved to approve the 30 application as recommended by staff. Mrs. Sporleder seconded the motion. The motion 31 passed unanimously. 32 33 2.2000 -0229, 112 S. Lafayette, lighting. 34 Mr. Talley presented the staff report and circulated photographs and product information. 35 He also noted that architects, Ken Herceg and Scott Rozanski, were present on behalf of 36 the County Commissioners. Mr. Talley stated that the application submitted is in three 37 parts, addendum number one pertaining to the roof lighting, addendum number two refers 38 to the courtyard lighting and addendum number three pertains to wall mounted lighting. 39 Mr. Talley gave a brief history of the difficulties involved in the lighting of this structure 40 and the violations that have occurred. He further noted that originally the project was to 41 use replicas of lights that were popular in downtown South Bend, however, those lights 42 have since been dropped for a fixture that has never been used in South Bend. Mr. Talley 43 also reported that the staff was not in favor of the size of the current roof top fixtures nor 44 were they in favor of the proposed pole lights and wattage. Mr. Herceg reported that 45 there has been a lot of confusion regarding the light fixtures on and around this structure. 46 He proceeded to give various reasons as to why the cupola lighting was the size it was 47 and why it had been installed with out a permit. He further noted that it was the County 48 Commissioners wish to use the existing monumental lighting. Mr. Herceg noted that the 49 existing lights could be tilted upward to move the hot spot, which would better light the 50 cupola while at the same time decreasing the visibility of the light fixtures. Mrs. Choitz 51 suggested that the Commissioners go over and look at the cupola as it is currently lit. She 52 went on to ask if the wattage could be toned down. Mr. Rozanski stated that if the 53 wattage were lowered the top of the cupola would be left in darkness. Mrs. Choitz stated 54 that the top portion of the cupola is barely lit now. Mr. Herceg stated that the roof was 55 simply too small to accommodate the space needed to light the top of the cupola. Mr. 56 Talley asked if a small light fixture could be placed on the ledge of the clock. Mr. 57 Herceg stated that he did not like the idea of attaching fixtures to the cupola. Mrs. 58 Sporleder asked if Mr. Herceg had tested various types of lighting options, in place. Mr. 59 Herceg stated that they did run a light analysis, which, concluded that the existing 60 lighting would be the best alternative. He further noted that a diffusive lens could be 61 placed on the fixtures to better reduce the hot spot but there is no way to eliminate the 62 shadows. There was some discussion over the possibility of attaching lights to other 63 structures and pointing it at the cupola. Mr. Herceg expressed concern over the fact that 64 the County Commissioners do not own property in every direction. Mrs. Sporleder stated 65 that monumental lighting was inappropriate for this structure. She further noted that the 66 main issue with the current fixtures is their size and visibility during the day. Mr. Talley 67 concurred that he has received many complaints regarding the visibility of the fixtures 68 during the day. Mr. Oxian asked if Mr. Herceg had checked into the possibility of 69 painting the back of the fixtures to match the walls of the courthouse. Mr. Herceg stated 70 that it may be possible to paint the fixtures, however, it is unlikely that the paint would be 71 able to handle the amount of heat the fixtures give off. Mr. Ujdak stated that the fixtures 72 are ugly and that most people see the courthouse in the daytime, not at night. He further 73 noted that the existing lights are not appropriate on an 1850's courthouse and that there 74 has to be a better way to light the structure. Mr. Herceg noted that there are better ways 75 to light the building, however, they are cost prohibitive. He further noted that what ever 76 the Commission decides he would have to take it to the County Commissioners for their 77 final decision. There was more discussion over the effects tilting the fixtures would have 78 on the visibility of the profile. Mrs. Choitz expressed disappointment over the fact that 79 the cupola lighting did not turn out as soft and pleasant as the dome lighting on the Third 80 County Courthouse. The Commissioners left the room to go look at the lit cupola. Mr. 81 Oxian moved to table addendum number one, regarding the roof lighting, until April to 82 allow the architects to tilt the fixtures. Mr. Weiner seconded the motion. The motion 83 passed unanimously. 84 85 Mr. Talley circulated product information and photos of the proposed pole and fixture for 86 the courtyard around the courthouse. He further noted that the fixture is unlike any light 87 fixture that has every been installed in downtown South Bend. Mr. Herceg stated that a 88 decision had to be made and fixtures had to be ordered or the price would increase, so the 89 County Commissioners decided not to wait for HPC to locate the original fixtures. 90 91 2 92 Mr. Oxian stated that the proposed wall mounted globes should also be used for the 93 courtyard lights. Mr. Talley noted that it was unfortunate the historic lights proposed by 94 the Commission were not used because they cost half as much as those presently being 95 proposed. Mr. Herceg interjected that the topic has been confusing and that the 96 Commission was having difficulty getting a confirmation from the manufacturer. Mr. 97 Talley stated that the Commission had confirmation from the manufacturer as of the 98 second week of December 1999. Mr. Herceg stated that the proposed fixtures are already 99 on site. Mr. Oxian asked if it would be possible to swap the proposed light fixtures for 100 the simple, globe fixture. Mr. Herceg stated that he did not know if the supplier would 101 switch the lights and at what cost to the County Commissioners. Mr. Herceg asked if the 102 Historic Preservation Commission would table this issue to allow him time to discuss the 103 proposed globe with the County Commissioners. He further asked if the Commission 104 preferred high- pressure sodium or metal halite and white or yellow lighting. He went on 105 to note most of the lighting on this block is high- pressured sodium. Mr. Oxian asked if 106 the lighting wattage needed to be 250. Mr. Herceg stated that the wattage could be 107 lowered to 100. Mr. Talley noted the variations each lighting style has regarding color 108 when the wattage is changed. He also noted that by changing the color of the lighting to 109 white might make the courthouse stand out from the rest of the block. There was some 110 discussion over the differences between sodium lighting and halite lighting. Mr. Talley 111 stated that by tabling the issue for thirty days would allow Mr. Herceg time to find out if 112 the manufacturer carries a simple globe and if the County Commissioners would agree to 113 the changes. Mrs. Sporleder stated that if one wanted to restore the building then they 114 would have to take into account that the structure did not have any electric lighting 115 fixtures in the beginning and thus the type of fixture should not matter. Mr. Oxian stated 116 that if a fixture is to be installed that fixture should be a style that has been used in South 117 Bend at some point in its history. Mrs. Sporleder stated that since streetlights varied so 118 much and that a variety has been used through out the years it does not make since to 119 restrict the type used to light the courthouse. She went on to state that lighting the 120 courthouse and the area surrounding it is not restoration, it is theatre. Mrs. Sporleder 121 further noted that the proposed fixture echoed the lines of the cupola and is much more 122 attractive then the globe. Mr. Oxian stated that if Mrs. Sporleder made a motion 123 accepting the proposed fixtures she would have to stipulate that these lights are only to be 124 used around the courthouse and why. Mr. Ujdak moved to table addendums two and 125 three regarding pole and wall lighting around the courthouse. Mrs. Hostetler seconded 126 the motion. The motion passed unanimously. Mr. Herceg asked if the Historic 127 Preservation Commission was leaning toward the following, High Pressure Sodium 128 lighting, a simple globe, same pole and reduced wattage unless the County 129 Commissioners can give a good reason to retain the higher wattage. Mr. Oxian stated 130 that Mr. Herceg's recap of the discussion was correct. Mr. Rozanski asked if the wall 131 sconce lighting should match the pole lighting. Mr. Oxian stated that all fixtures should 132 be the same whether on a pole or mounted on a wall. 133 134 135 136 90 137 3 138 3. 2000 — 0306, 108 N. Main, sign. 139 Mr. Talley presented the staff report and circulated photographs. He further noted that 140 the owner was not present, however, the sign contractor, Bryan Jesswein, was present. 141 Mr. Talley noted that the Commission had approved a vent for this business last month, 142 which has since gone through three changes with out review. Mr. Markle, of the 143 Building Department, concurred with Mr. Talley about the vent and the difficulty Design 144 Review has had with the owner. Mr. Oxian stated that if the appropriate vent is not 145 reinstalled the Commission would take legal action. Mrs. Greene stated that this issue is 146 not on the agenda. Mr. Talley stated that he was simply notifying the Commission of a 147 violation of a Certificate issued in February. Mrs. Greene stated that she would review 148 the issue. 149 150 Mr. Jesswein, sign contractor, stated that the sign would be located between the 2 "d and 151 3` floor of the JMS Building. He further stated that it would be 3' x 6' in size and 152 lighted with interior fluorescent lamps. Mr. Markle noted that Design Review had 153 approved the sign, contingent upon approval by the Historic Preservation Commission. 154 Mr. Oxian stated that if the Commission views the awning as a sign then the application 155 must be denied, however, if the awning is looked at as a temporary item then another sign 156 may be possible. Mrs. Choitz noted that the sign was horrible and that if it must be 157 attached to the JMS Building it should be placed on the first floor, where the restaurant is 158 located. She further noted that downtown South Bend does not need another sign such as 159 the one being proposed. Mrs. Choitz moved to deny the application based on the fact that 160 another sign would exceed the allowable number of signs given to Local Landmarks. 161 Mrs. Greene noted that the issue on the table was whether or not the awning should be 162 considered a sign. Mrs. Choitz with drew her motion. Mr. Oxian asked if the 163 Commission should table the application to allow Mrs. Greene time to research the issue. 164 Mrs. Greene noted that the Commission has to be aware that the application submitted 165 requests a 2'x 4' sign not 3' x 6' and that a decision regarding the awning would have to 166 be made before the Commission can act on this application. Mrs. Choitz moved to 167 withdraw her motion and make a new motion to table the application until April. Mr. 168 Ujdak seconded. Mrs. Sporleder noted that all signs are temporary. Mr. Markle 169 interjected that according to the Design Review Guidelines for the City of South Bend an 170 awning with graphics is a sign. Mrs. Choitz withdrew her previous motion to table and 171 made a new motion to deny the application based on the fact that another application 172 would violate the local landmark guidelines. Mrs. Sporleder seconded the motion. The 173 motion passed unanimously. 174 175 4.2000- 0306 -2, 1601 Kemble, adaptive reuse renovations. 176 Mr. Talley presented the staff report and circulated photographs. He further noted that 177 the contractor, Mr. Kil, was present. Mr. Talley asked Mr. Ullery, the contractor, if the 178 doors would need to be installed on the north elevation. Mr. Ullery stated that he would 179 prefer it if Mr. Kil answered that question. Mr. Kil noted that a second drawing that had 180 been passed around illustrated a fall back option if the State denies certain fire variances. 181 He further noted that these variances would be before the State Board on April 4 If the 182 State denies the variances a set of double doors would have to be installed on the north 183 side of the building in place of existing windows. Mr. Kil stressed that this option would 4 184 only be implemented if the State denies the fire variances. Mr. Oxian stated that the 185 Commission could not approve the application until a final plan has been submitted. Mr. 186 Ujdak asked for clarification of the alterations to the west fagade. Mr. Kil noted that a 187 few windows would be installed; plywood removed as well as an overhead door and a 188 service door bricked up. Mr. Oxian asked if they were going to install window air 189 conditioning units. Mr. Ullery stated that central air would be installed, not window 190 units. Mr. Ujdak asked where the central air unit would be located. Mr. Ullery noted that 191 the air unit would be located in the parking area to the rear. Mr. Oxian moved to place 192 the application into the Standards and Maintenance Committee until April when a final 193 plan can be submitted. Mr. Weiner seconded the motion. The motion passed 194 unanimously. 195 196 5.2000 -0316, 511 W. Colfax, fence. 197 Mr. Talley briefed the Commission on the history of the house'and the proposed 198 application regarding a wrought iron fence and circulated product literature. Mr. Oxian 199 noted that he wanted to add this application to the agenda. Mr. Talley stated that the 200 application came in late, which did not give the staff enough time to write a report. He 201 went on to note that the owners, Tamara and Jerry Sexton, were present. Mr. Talley 202 stated that the owners have been before the Design Review Committee where they 203 received approval for a six -foot tall wrought iron fence with the stipulation that the gates 204 open inward and not out onto the public area. Mr. Oxian asked what the gate would look 205 like. Mr. Calvert, fence contractor, stated that the gate would be identical to the fence 206 and would be supported by two 6 "x6" posts. He also noted that there would be 4 "x4" 207 posts at each corner. Mr. Oxian asked how large the gate opening would be. Mr. Calvert 208 stated that the opening would be 20' wide for both gates, the one located on Colfax and 209 the gate facing the alley. Mrs. Sexton asked if an 8' fence would be appropriate. Mr. 210 Markle stated that with the amount of openness a wrought iron fence offers an 8' fence 211 would be allowable. Mrs. Sexton stated that they were concerned with security. Mr. 212 Oxian asked if the homeowners had a home security system. Mrs. Sexton stated that they 213 do have a security system. Mr. Oxian asked if the Design Review Committee had 214 approved an 8' tall fence. Mr. Markle stated that they had only approved a 6' tall fence, 215 however, he felt that the Committee would probably approve the 8' fence. Mrs. Hostetler 216 moved to approve the application up to eight feet tall, contingent upon approval by the 217 Design Review Committee. Mrs. Choitz seconded the motion. Mrs. Sporleder asked if 218 there were any examples of such a fence in the West Washington Street District. Mr. 219 Markle stated that he did not know of any building with such a fence. Mr. Talley read the 220 guidelines regarding fences, which simply notes that front yards should not be fenced in 221 unless otherwise documented. There was some discussion over if the house was every 222 surrounded by a fence or stonewall. The motion passed with Joann Sporleder abstaining. 223 224 6.2000 -0320 — Riverside Drive Local Historic District, new gas lines. 225 Mr. Talley briefed the Commission on the proposed installation of new gas lines and 226 meters through out Riverside Drive and Park Avenue. He further noted that it would be 227 push bore with small tubes and all meters will be located on the exterior of the houses. 228 Mr. Taelman, representative for NIPSCO, stated that the existing gas mains and lines are 229 nearing the end of their life span and need to be replaced, with the least amount of 230 disruption to the neighborhood. He further noted that if any brick streets have to be 231 penetrated the brick would be replaced. Mr. Talley expressed concern over landscaping 232 issues and the visibility of the meters. Mr. Wood, another representative of the gas 233 company, noted that no major landscaping would be affected and that all meters will be 234 located on the side of the house to the rear. Mr. Talley asked if the laying of lines up to 235 the new meters would disturb the new streetlights. Mr. Tealman stated that the lines 236 would not affect the lights. Mr. Talley stated that no one could park his or her vehicles in 237 Shetterly Park, which is a landmark. Mr. Tealman stated that the park would not be 238 touched. Mr. Oxian moved to approve the application subject to on -site review by Mr. 239 Talley and/or Gerald Ujdak where disturbance of soils, landscaping, existing meters 240 and/or disturbance of items of historic significance are to occur. Mr. Weiner seconded 241 the motion. The motion passed unanimously. 242 243 B. Proposed Local Landmarks, 2 nd Reading. 244 1.2300 Portage Avenue — Riverview Cemetery 245 Mr. Oxian stated that the owner has requested that the Commission table this nomination 246 to allow their board to meet and vote on the landmarking of their property. Mr. Oxian 247 moved to table the application until April 17, 2000. Mrs. Choitz seconded the motion. 248 The motion passed unanimously. 249 250 251 III. Regular Business 252 A. Approval of Minutes 253 Mrs. Greene noted that Mrs. DeRose is listed as present during the January meeting when 254 in fact Mrs. Greene was present in her place. Mr. Ujdak moved to approve both the 255 January and February minutes as amended. Mrs. Hostetler seconded the motion. The 256 motion passed unanimously. 257 258 B. Treasurer's Report 259 Mr. Talley noted that each member received a report when they arrived tonight. He 260 further noted that the County Council appropriated $500.00 for postage, $144.00 for 261 advertising and $480.00 for printing. Mr. Talley stated that a treasurer's report would be 262 submitted to the Commission every month. Mr. Weiner moved to accept the Treasurer's 263 Report. Mr. Ujdak seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously. 264 265 C. Correspondence. 266 Mr. Talley noted that an individual in Texas sent the Commission postcards of St. Joseph 267 County. 268 269 D. Committee Reports 270 1. Historic District 271 None. 272 2. Historic Landmarks 1" Reading 273 Mr. Oxian noted that 52682 Currant Road, St. Joseph County Farm, has been dropped. 274 3. Standards and Maintenance. 275 None. 0 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 E. Staff Reports 1.Staff Approved Certificates See attachments 2. Legal None. 3. Miscellaneous Activities & Grants None. IV. Old Business A. 1999 -1026 —1158 Lincolnway West, rear parking lot. Mrs. Saunders stated that the owner has requested denial of his application with the stipulation that he is able to return at a latter date. Mrs. Hostetler moved to deny the application as requested by the owner. Mr. Ujdak seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously. V. New Business None. VI. Hearing of Visitors None. VII. Announcements and Miscellaneous Matters None. IV. Adjournment The meeting adjourned at 9:45pm. Historic Preservation Commission Of South Bend and St. Joseph County, Indiana. ,n j ATTEST: 7 STAFF APPROVED CERTIFICATES OF APPROPRIATENESS 1) 1732 E. Wayne Street- re -roof.