Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAboutDocument 12810 COUNTY L/NE /, /NFOI�iYJAT/ON BOOTH 2. .9NTHONY O/POE6E lYES/DENCE �•" N 3. HOWARO COLL/M6 S RES/DENCE �1. RON,4L0 /PEESE /QES/DENCE S• HAPPY HOUSE N 0 /\ 6. H,4P"IL TON Ch.9,?CN ANO 7. UNITED METHOD/ST CHURCH 3 I ( 15— aY 8. CO/YJ/VIUN/TY CHURCH 9. J. H. SERVICE HOME + 1 /O, MARKET llllll lid II ' ►i��►, /2. STEAM SfNOW co�4EGE 3 9,eoV /3. SIDEWALK CAFE ?Y 4 — R, 9R'o 3 /�1 DANCE EXf,�/B/T/O/V ,9.PEA � e cN�A'ry L /S. OpST OFFICE n I-1A M/L TON G-HURCN a FiaB£Rr /6. BOUR/SSA N/LLS PARK m N /7`1 oEo/cArEO /8y/ a y /7. U. NJE7-h/ao15r CHURCf1 FOoO BOOTH 2 1 r/L9f 2 � i5 'k /8. MAPLE GROVE /IOET//. Cs/URCH FODO BO /9. o. T. ,rz-NNEOY .1,9115E NEW �ARL /S L E PRESENTS 0 r _ �L RESTR�QMs TiMOTfIY f/MI7NY TO UR of z 57TOR/CAL HOMES v W.9G NUT PO/DQ � 9 O cIULY 26 , 27, � 28Ty/ /97zl 1 WILLIAM TROWBRIDGE HOUSE ca. 1887 oak wood work that has never been refinished placing. The interior of the home has Filbert and Chestnut but looks like it was put in yesterday. Some an open walnut staircase and all of the Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Droege, owners changes have been made in the home; outside woodwork in the house is either walnut or the porch has been replaced and inside one cherry. The home is now used as a nursery- This Italinate home with the Queen Anne style pair of sliding doors have been removed, other day care center but will be open for visi- roof was built by Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Smith, than that this home has probably received tors decorated with period furniture on but they apparently lived in it only a short the best continuous good care. loan from area residents. Some of the time, if at all and it has become generally furniture will be from the original owners, home. It is of area known as the Trowbridge3 CHARLES TAYLOR HOUSE ca. 188 5 West Michigan Street on loan from their grandchildren, Keith interest to note that when Mr. Trowbridge Mr. and Mrs Ron Reese Proud and Miss Marguerite Proud, who still , . , owners died his daughter, Olive Williams and Frank reside in the area. Williams, New Carlisle postman, became the The Taylor house is built on land purchased 5 HAMILTON CHURCH Dedicated 1841 owners of the home and lived there until in 1880, but the exact date the home was Chicago Trail their deaths in 1929 and 1930. They had, erected remains obscure. The house is said in 1926 made a legal agreement with David and to have been Charles' wedding gift to his In 1830, in the log cabin of Paul Egbert, Elsie Bennett to care for them in their old young bride, Sara. Charles died in 1908, this Methodist Church was organized. The age whereupon the house would become theirs. and Sara remained in the house until her village was then called Terre Coupee--the The Bennetts lived there until the early 60's death in 1947, protecting it from change. name taken from the Prairie--and was a and Mr. and Mrs. Chester Dodd moved into the While the home is not particularly large, stage coach stop. It later became known home in 1962. The Droege's purchased the Sara's delightful sense of detail did in- as Hamilton because of Hamilton's Tavern home in March of 1972. Restorative work has corporate features of the larger homes, such (Inn) . The Greek Revival style is shown been done with lowered ceilings removed, as the wide board floors, open staircase, here with vertical corner boards defining floors being returned to their original state tiled fireplace and carved golden oak wood- the exterior limits of a simple pedimented and so on. The interior of the home has been work. The house contains three large windows gable. The porch was added around 1875. colorfully decorated with the use of period to the front and side but none in the rear, The large flag on display is said to have furnishings. Mr. Droege uses part of the which would lead one to beleive that plans to been used in Lincoln's presidential cam- home as his studio so the visitor on the enlarge the house never materialized. The paign in 1864. This is the oldest Metho- home tour will have a double treat in seeing furnishings contained in the home today are dist Church in continuous use in Northern some of his paintings. for the greater part pre-1860 with emphasis Indiana. on the Restoration Empire. A collection of 6 HAMILTON CEMETERY 2 THE WARNER HOUSE ca. 1893 Victorian shadow boxes is highlighted by a West Michigan Street large ornate hair wreath. The peaceful, quiet grove surrounding the Mr. and Mrs. Howard Collings, owners 4 T.L. BORDON HOUSE 1868 church itself contains a large amount of This lovely late Nineteenth Century home was West Michigan Street the history of the community. Two Revolu- y y Mr. and Mrs. Walter Schaltenbrand tionary War soldiers, an aide to George built by the Warners after the home they had Washington, three veterans of the French just built across the street proved to be not This large, brick Italinate house was built and Indian Wars and ten veterans of the quite the home they wanted. The projecting by Mr. Bordon as his retirement home and is War of 1812 are buried here. Of note is bays, the curved glass window are among the now in the process of being restored to its the marker of Nehemiah Griffith, who founded most outstanding features on the exterior original splendor by its present owners. Methodism in No. Indiana and the marker of of the home. Inside the visitor is treated As you can see, very little work remains Joe Hursh, whose life spanned three cen- to an open stairway, tiled fireplace, and to be done, only the porches now need re- turies--1793 to 1903.