Laserfiche WebLink
<br />REGULAR MEETING OCTOBER 14, 2013 <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />Be it remembered that the Common Council of the City of South Bend, Indiana met in the <br />Council Chambers of the County-City Building on Monday, October 14, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. The <br />meeting was called to order by Council President Derek Dieter and the Invocation and Pledge to <br />the Flag were given. <br /> <br /> <br />ROLL CALL <br /> <br />COUNCILMEMBERS: <br /> <br /> <br />st <br />Present: Tim Scott 1 District <br />nd <br /> Henry Davis, Jr. 2 District <br />rd <br /> Valerie Schey 3 District <br />th <br /> Fred Ferlic 4 District <br />th <br /> David Varner 5 District <br />th <br /> Oliver J. Davis 6 District, Vice-President <br /> Derek Dieter At-Large, President <br /> Gavin Ferlic At-Large <br /> Karen L. White At-Large, Chairperson Committee of the Whole <br /> <br /> <br />OTHERS PRESENT: <br /> <br /> <br /> John Voorde City Clerk <br /> Janice I. Talboom Deputy <br /> Mary Beth Wisniewski Chief Deputy <br /> Kathleen Cekanski-Farrand Council Attorney <br /> <br />REPORT FROM THE SUB-COMMITTEE ON MINUTES <br />Councilmember White made a motion that the minutes of the September 23, 2013, meeting of <br />the Council be accepted and placed on file. Councilmember Schey seconded the motion which <br />carried by a voice vote of nine (9) ayes. <br /> <br />SPECIAL BUSINESS <br /> <br />RESOLUTION NO. 4287-13 A RESOLUTION OF THE COMMON COUNCIL <br /> OF THE CITY OF SOUTH BEND, INDIANA, <br />TH <br /> HONORING AND CELEBRATING THE 100 <br /> ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING OF THE <br /> SAINT MARY PARISH <br /> <br /> <br />Whereas, the South Bend Common Council recognizes that on November 27, 1913, a meeting to <br />organize a church was held in the City of South Bend, Indiana; and <br /> <br />Whereas, the Council proudly recognizes that from the seeds of that first meeting Prime Bishop <br />Francis Hodur, a key organizer of the Polish National Catholic Church conducted a Mission <br />Service on October 4, 1815 which continues to be marked today by an eight foot marker which <br />proudly stands near the Church to commemorate that event; and <br /> <br />Whereas, 1915 was the year when construction began, with it being completed in 1921 and grew <br />to be a vital neighborhood anchor at its location of 1601 West Sample Street for individuals to <br />worship and develop fellowships; and <br /> <br />Whereas, the first Pastor was Reverend Basil Sychta; and the first Lay Officers of the Church <br />were Joseph Jaskiewicz who served as Chairman; Joseph Zwierzynski who served as Vice- <br />Chairman, Michael Przybylski who was the Recording Secretary, John Wawrzyniak was the <br />Treasurer; and Edward Nowakowski was the Financial Secretary; and <br />1 <br /> <br /> <br />