Laserfiche WebLink
STAFF REPORT <br />• CONCERNING APPLICATION FOR A <br />CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS <br />Date: 13 June 2018 <br />Application Number: 2018-0613 <br />Property Location: 504 East LaSalle Avenue <br />Architectural Style/Date/Architect or Builder: Italianate/Neoclassical/1900/1924/J.C. Lauber Company <br />Property Owner: Greater Lowell Holdings, LLC <br />Landmark or District Designation: Local Landmark, Ordinance #7591-1986; National Register East Bank <br />Multiple Property Listing <br />Rating: Contributing <br />DESCRIPTION OF STRUCTURE/SITE: The J.C. Lauber Company building is described in the National <br />Register listing as a unique example of the Commercial -Functional style of architecture that combines utility with <br />ornament. The structure is comprised of several additions with the primary LaSalle Street facing constructed as a <br />one-story, rectangular -plan, commercial building with a foundation of concrete and rubble, walls are brick and <br />block. A metal cornice stretches seventy feet across the fagade. Roof is flat. LaSalle Street fagade features <br />modillions on ends of dentilled cornice with scroll end brackets. The front elevation has a strong horizontal <br />emphasis. Windows are divided into nine bays and are wood framed, fixed plate glass with solid transoms above. <br />Front entrance is a wood double door with glass. The 1924 addition, directly behind the 1900 building, is a one- <br />story, rectangular -plan, constructed of concrete block, with a flat roof. Windows are metal with multi -panels. The <br />rear of the building is organized by multiple additions and incorporate various garage doors. Signage exists on all <br />sides, both attached to and painted directly on the structure, reflecting different eras of the former J.C. Lauber <br />business. <br />• ALTERATIONS: COA 2005-1031 approved demolition of portion of building constructed in 1882 at northwest <br />corner of LaSalle and Niles. COA 2006-0413 approved reinstallation of J.C. Lauber Sheet Metal sign, formerly on <br />west side of 1882 portion of building. COA 2016-1128 to demolish 5,000 sq. ft. building was not executed. <br />Retroactive approval of 1801.f. of commercial grade ornamental aluminum fence enclosing northwest corner. <br />APPLICATION ITEMS: See attached plans by John Werntz dated June 6, 2018. An application was made and <br />conditionally approved at the April 16'b meeting of the HPC. The only exterior changes made since that date are the <br />West elevation whereby the plans now call for the installation of overhead doors in lieu of a double glass door and <br />Three (3) windows as previously submitted. <br />DESCRIPTION OF PROPOSED PROJECT: <br />1. West (Nile) fagade <br />Install new openings on west wall. One single door full glass panel aluminum with bronze finish was <br />previously approved. Install three new overhead doors with full glass panel aluminum with bronze finish to <br />match all others. This was originally an interior wall. The Structural Engineer recommends installing <br />openings in between interior structural columns to maintain the integrity of the elevation to protect the wall <br />from "twisting under the weight". <br />SITE VISIT REPORT: n/a <br />STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES, GROUP B: <br />A. Maintenance <br />The maintenance of any historical structure or site shall in no way involve any direct physical change except for the <br />general cleaning and upkeep of the landmark. The Commission shall encourage the proper maintenance of all <br />• structure or sites. <br />B. Treatment <br />Treatment shall be defined as any change of surface materials that will not alter the style or original form. Such <br />improvements include re -roofing, glazing, or landscaping lawns and may involve a change that can potentially <br />enhance or detract from the character of the landmark. A treatment change of any surface whether on the landmark <br />