Laserfiche WebLink
United States Department of the Interior <br />National Park -Service - <br />National Register of Historic 'Pla <br />c6s <br />Continuation Sheet <br />Section number P Page <br />South Bend Brewing Association St. Joseph County IN <br />The South Bend Brewing Association was one of a triumvirate of <br />,local breweries in South Bend -Mishawaka, none of which is still <br />active. The first was the Muessel Brewery, a family operation <br />started.in 1852, which by the end ofthe nineteenth century had <br />constructed a 'large new plant, still extant (along with decades of <br />additions) in the 1300-1400 blocks of Elwood Avenue. In 1936, <br />after manufacturing non-alcoholic beverages during Prohibition, <br />,the brewery became Drewry's,-which closed in the 1970s. The <br />second brewery also had origins'An the 1850s, in a,small operation <br />begun in Mishawaka.by aman named Wagner.. Adolph Kamm, along with <br />some partners, purchased the brewery in,1870; in the 1880s, <br />Nicholas.-Schellinger became a partner and it was incorporated as <br />Kamm & Schellinger Brewing Company. By'the turn of the century <br />all of its earliest frame buildings had, been replaced; today this <br />largely intact brewery' complex along the St. Joseph Rive I r is known <br />.as the 100 Center and is listed in the National Register of <br />Historic Places. <br />In 1903 a group of mostly German, Polish, and Hungarian (the three <br />largest immigrant groups in South Bend at the time) tavernowners <br />formed the South Bend Brewing Association to manufacture and <br />distribute beer. They immediately offered stock to the public and <br />soon began to lease saloons around the city, most of which were on <br />the city's heavily ethnic west side.- The association built a <br />large brick building on what was then called Michigan Avenue (for <br />the old'Michigan Road), later renamed Lincolnway when the Lincoln <br />Highway was routed on it.. A former plumber, Jerry Voelkets, <br />became the manager and served until his death in 1911. Opened in <br />1905, -the imposing castle -like structure houseda complete <br />manufacturing facility, with power, -heating and cooling, and <br />loading docks on the south and southwest. The process of brewing <br />depended on gravity flow, and the building, four stories high in <br />the front (north) and descending in tiers to one story in the <br />rear, is a visual representation of the procedure. The chief., <br />products were Tiger Beer and Hoosier Beer. A separate bottling tling <br />facility was built in 1910 immediately to the west across College' <br />Street. The brewery later enlarged this building and moved its <br />offices into it. <br />